Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Two days in Glasgow

ONE

On Thursday we checked out of Rick's and made our way to the train station and our next destination: Glasgow. The Scotch Rail staff was very helpful and we managed to catch an earlier train than we had originally planned to take!
Without snapchat filters, would you even know I went anywhere?

In Glasgow we stayed at Ibis Styles Hotel which is a hotel chain and not a boutique style hotel as Rick's had been. The room was very fresh and they had a nice continental breakfast and all in all I was very happy with the stay. My only criticism here would be that the bed and the pillows were very hard, and personally I like to sleep on a softer mattress. We didn't really have any specific plans for the day, just to stroll around the city to see what it was like. I had also printed out a map of a mural trail in the city, which we followed. There is a lot of street art in Glasgow, and some are hidden away in the alleyways, so I definitely thought it was fun to have a map to follow. It was sort of like a treasure hunt, and the price was some really cool street art.




It's the eye of the tiger, it's the thrill of the fight!

Our hotel happened to be situated right by the Glasgow Gallery of Modern Art, and since the exhibitions were free we took a look inside. I have to say that I'm perhaps not the best at interpreting modern art, but there were a few video pieces that I really enjoyed. Plus outside the museum there is the famous statue with a traffic cone on its head, so that's kinda cool I guess?

We ended day one by having dinner at an Italian place called La Vita and I had a really creamy pasta while André ordered a pizza. The rest of the night was spent in the hotel room, watching The Mask starring Jim Carrey, of all films :D It just happened to be on and we were feeling goofy, so why not!

TWO

For the second day in Glasgow we had made plans to visit Kelvingrove Art Gallery & Museum, which is a 10 minute bus ride from the city. The Museum is pretty big and also free, so I definitely recommend not only going, but reserving at least one afternoon for this trip. I had only very briefly read about the museum when researching things to do in Glasgow so I didn't really know what to expect, but I have to say that I was impressed. They had probably 10 different exhibitions with different themes, such as the history of Glasgow, ancient Egypt, french art, taxidermy... and the list goes on!
A lot of floating heads


Mummies are creepy
The tiger on the right had half a body, symbolizing how the species is in danger of becoming extinct due to hunting.
Just me being all artsy and looking at art

They also had an exhibition downstairs which was not free, but we both really wanted to go see it because it was all about comic books! "The Art of Comics" which showcased the work of Frank Quitely (real name Vincent Deighan), a Glasgow born artist who can be linked to iconic characters such as Batman, Superman and the X-Men. 



Swiggity Swooty I'm coming for that booty//Superman and some man in a red cape
Batman, Robin and their new side kick *insert cool superhero name here that you have yet to come up with*

After a couple of hours of exploring Kelvingrove we had some lunch at another Italian place close by (this time I had the pizza and André the pasta) and decided to go and check out the University of Glasgow, which was just a little walk away from the museum. The University was beautiful, and although Harry Potter was never filmed there, the University definitely had a very Potteresque feel to it, one which has been said to have inspired the author! The University also had a museum of its own, The Hunterian, which was also free so we went to have a look. My favorite thing with the museum was that they had a huge anatomical teaching collections, so we saw all kinds of human body parts which was a but creepy but very fascinating. 

I look like I just got accepted into Hogwarts
This is truly terrifying 

We had spent the whole afternoon at different museums and exhibition and we were pretty tired, but it was still our last night in Scotland so we went to and Argentinian restaurant called Cau for dinner. I was still pretty full from the lunch so just decided to order two side dishes (chicken skewers and sweet potatoes) and a glass of wine. For the price I have to say that it was a bit of a let down - the chicken didn't really taste like anything and the guac that came with it didn't either. The sweet potatoes were very good but my glass of wine had a lot of sediment at the bottom, which can happen but there was definitely a lot of it. Luckily they took the wine off of the bill and André really enjoyed his dish!

The next day it was time to leave Scotland and it felt a little bit sad, actually. First of all, I would travel alone back to Nottingham, since André was going to York for a couple of days before joining me in Notts again. The train ride was 5,5 hours, which meant that I would be home pretty late, and then I would still have to go grocery shopping, since my fridge was completely empty. Usually after a trip I feel bittersweet, because holidays are always nice but it's still fun to come home. This time I felt like I really wasn't feeling Nottingham at all, and the idea of sleeping alone in my room didn't feel appealing at all. Luckily I only had a couple of days of that, and I kept myself occupied by binging 13 Reasons Why on Netflix. I'm sure once the holidays are over, and I'm back to my normal routine of classes and seeing the other international students, Nottingham won't feel too bad. I mean the next day after coming home it was like 22 degrees and Nottingham definitely felt wonderful again!

No comments: