Sunday, February 19, 2017

Date night in York

note: I guess there was some kind of problem with the pictures in this post, hopefully I've fixed the problem and the pictures should be visible for all!

It's Sunday and I'm still in York (headed back to Nottingham later today though) but I thought I'd do a blog post about my weekend now, since we're having a rather mellow Sunday and we're not really planning on doing anything special, other than having something to eat in the city.

My trip here began on Friday, and I was at the train station in good time since I came straight from my seminar. After I had collected my ticket I noticed that my train was delayed, and it didn't  say by how much. I had a connection in Chesterfield and only had 7 minutes transfer time so I was a bit nervous because I didn't know when my train would leave and I had no clue how big the station in Chesterfield was. It turned out that some train had broken down and that was why we were delayed. Originally, my train was supposed to leave from Nottingham at 16.18, but I think we were able to get going 20 minutes later. Obviously that meant I would miss my connection, but as luck would have it, my other train was actually 35 minutes late! (Apparently that train had also broken down and they had to get a smaller train to replace it, which meant that instead of 7 coaches it had 5, and people were forced to stand in the train because it was overbooked). So I didn't miss the second train and I made it to York, even if I was 40 minutes late!

On Friday we just took it easy and André had made some delicious pasta for me! We also exchanged belated Valentine's gifts. I got him a book about film directors because he loves film and knows a lot about different directors. And he got me a really cool adidas t shirt that I've been living in for the past two days, basically. And we both got each other cookies. Great minds think alike, right?

On Saturday André had planned a really fun day for us, to make up for not being able to celebrate Valentine's day together. First we took a stroll through the campus, where he lives, and we saw the birds, ducks and even swans that live around the lake here on campus. We also made some lunch together and gradually started to get ready for the evening.





In the afternoon we took the bus to the city and just walked around, taking pictures of the beautiful buildings. I have to say that York was so lovely, especially in the sunshine. There were so many cool and cute shops, beautiful old buildings, and cafés and restaurants which I definitely want to try out! I especially liked walking through the shambles, which apparently have inspired Diagon Alley in the Harry Potter universe. So cool!







Little after 5 we went to see La La Land at the City Screen Cineman, and it's a movie both me and André have been dying to see. And it was definitely worth the wait - I absolutely loved it! I don't want to spoil too much in case somebody reading this is planning on seeing it, but if you love musicals, beautiful cinematography and love, you should definitely go see it!


After the movie we walked to a restaurant called Source, where André had made a dinner reservation for us. Apparently every restaurant in York was fully booked last night, so it's good we had a table reserved. The restaurant we ate at specialized in slow cooked meats, so I had pulled pork and André ate some pulled chicken. It was really good, and they served the dishes with fries, cornbread (my favorite!! I´ve never had cornbread outside of the U.S before!) and coleslaw, which were all delicious. Plus I had a really good glass of wine, so the night was basically perfect.


Today, like I said, I'm heading back to Nottingham, but we do have the whole day because my train doesn't leave until half past 8. But André is actually coming to Nottingham as soon as next weekend, so we went spend that much time apart this week. And I´m definitely looking forward to going back to York too!

1 comment:

Lotte said...

Omg you and your boyfriend look soo cute together! Can't wait to meet him!