Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Kap kun ka!

Which means 'thank you' in Thai. Sawa dee ka means 'hello"! 

I had a lot of time on my hands during the trip so I ended up reading 5 books:
Looking for Alaska by John Green, author of " The Fault in Our Stars" - thought it was an ok YA novel, but it didn't move me the way I felt it should've, and I had the same problem with TFIOS. The character's didn't seem real enought o me, and it wasn't until I saw the TFIOS movie that I really saw the characters come to life. But it was an easy read and quite funny at times!
Tårka aldrig tårar utan handskar 2. Sjukdomen by Jonar Gardell. I've already read the first part and seen the movie (I think it can be found on youtube, and it's definitely worth watching!) so I knew I'd love the book. If you haven't heard of it, it tells the story of a group of gay men in Stockholm, Sweden in the 80's during the aids epidemic.
Out of the Dark by Linda Caine. A true story of how Linda starts remembering events from her childhood which have caused her to suffer from serious panic attacks and severe depression. 
Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. Probably my favorite book of the 5, that was until I read the last few chapters which ruined the whole thing. But I definitely intend on going to see the movie starring Ben Affleck when I have a chance!
Life after Death  by Damien Echols, or at least I think that's what it's called in English since I read it in Swedish ("Dödsdömd"). I would've probably enjoyed it more if I had read it in the original language, but the case of Damien Echols is really interesting. In 1993 he (he was 18 years old), his  16-year old best friend Jason Baldwin and a distant friend of theirs, Jessie Misskelley were arrested for killing three 8-year old boys in West Memphis, Arkansas. There was practically no evidence which pointed to them being the murderers, but the prosecutor presented the jury with a story of Damien being a satanistic cult leader and also Misskelley, who was mildly retarded and had an IQ of a five year old, "confessed" to the murders after 14 hours of questioning, of which only about 40 minutes was recorded. If you want to know more about the case, the documentary Paradise Lost can be found on youtube. The book however tells Damien's life story, about his childhood, what he thought of the accusations, what prison and Death Row was like and featured some letters he wrote while he was locked up.



Beer and book make a perfect combo

The last couple of days we went a bit further down the beach and found Memories Bar & Restaurant where we ended up staying the last couple of days. The staff was really friendly, you could eat lunch at the beach and the food was really good. One of the boys who worked their, Joss (not sure how to write his name), started playing football with maxen and my dad and he taught maxens how to surf. He and my brother became real good buddys which was so cute, 'cause they barely spoke the same language.




Dinner on the beach
To end this post just a few random pictures which don't fit in a specific category. All in all I had a great, relaxing time in Khao Lak, and it was great to spend some quality time with my family. You can definitely tell the difference it makes to get to see sunlight. How depressing does that sound, 'to see sunlight'. The matter of fact is that we only had FIVE HOURS of sunlight here in Turku in the whole month of November, no wonder you get a bit tired and grey looking. 
The beach was filled with these patters which the crabs made when they crawled into their little holes in the sand. 

HUGE jellyfish.
Fish Foot massage my dad & Maxen took. 

Big love!

No comments: