Saturday, May 3, 2014

Valborg 2014

For those of you who are not from here, Valborg (or Vappu in Finnish) is a holiday where we celebrate the working class (but really it's more about people getting drunk and/or hanging out with friends). At 6 o'clock everybody puts on their graduation cap and the festivities begin (or continue). It's also a sort of "summer is on its way"-kinda thing I guess. ANYWAYS!
Our plan was to first meet up at Julle's to have something to eat and to drink. As I was walking to julle's a woman suddenly said to me: "Hey lady, I just have to say that you look really nice to day, you look absolutely fabulous!" I thought that was really nice, I instantly felt like it would be a good evening. After eating we made our way to a huge park called Vartiovuori or Vårdis as we call it. It is tradition that all finland-swedes meet there and all Finnish-speakers meet in Puolalan puisto to put on their caps. It was out first year getting to put on our caps since we only graduated last year and it felt really nice!
After hanging around in the park for about half an hour we were invited to Axels where some of our old classmates were. I think we were there for a couple of hours until it was time to move on. We got a bit split up but me, Isa, Sofie and Cristel went to RHC. It was so strange since it wasn't even full when we got there, but then we realized it was only 11 o'clock. It felt like the day had went on forever, no surprise there considering I got to julle's at 3. Anyways, RHC was a lot of fun! After and hour or so Isa and I moved on to our final destination, B. And I stayed there until 5 in the morning, you can imagine how tired I was walking to the taxi at 5 in the morning! But it was light outside which was nice, and the city was so peaceful. I have to say it was probably the best Vappu I've had so far, just because we had no plans and no expectations, but somehow we managed to meet so many people and visit so many different places!

Aapo & Kata


Vårdis



I also met Nicloa & Helmi, haha these pictures though XD

On May first traditionally people go out to parks on picnics and that was our plans as well, but it had been raining all night (and I didn't wake up until 1 o'clock, woops) so the girls (and cristel's boyfriend Aki) came over to our place instead for some homemade donuts! We also played game board and I at least had a really good time! Once they all left I was so tired, I just layed on the couch for the rest of the evening.
Everybody was pretty tired from the night before so my mom and grandma were the only ones drinking champagne...

Homemade and DELICIOUS!

Today I've been to work, it was a pretty long day but I was super happy to see that there was pie and pavlova-cake waiting for me. Tomorrow I have even a longer day at work, from opening 'till closing so I'd better get some sleep. Goodnight!

No comments: