Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Homemade sugar wax

Today I had no school and no work so I slept in, watched the Mindy Project, ate pizza for lunch and went shopping with Emppu. I did manage to bring home a lot of stuff, like a bowl, glasses and napkins from Ikea, white feathers, plastic champagne glasses, rose wine, a present for my little brother... yup that was it! After going from store to store we finally realized we had been shopping for four hours! At that point it was time to go home.
Coffee break!

When I came home I decided it was time to try something new I had read about online: Homemade sugar waxing! It's supposed to be pretty easy and a lot less painful than regular waxing. Basically you'll need 2 cups of sugar, 1/2 cup of water and 1/2 cup of lemon juice. You mix them together in a bowl or a pan , depending on whether you want to cook the mixture in a pan or in the microwave. I did it in the microwave, I figured that if I burnt the sugar I'd rather ruin a plastic bowl than a pan!
I put the mixture in the microwave and kept it there for about 30 seconds at a time. The heat wasn't on maximum, our microwave is pretty effective and I didn't want to burn the sugar. So 30 seconds at a time and I would stir the mixture in between. The mixture would start to boil and bubble, don't worry, that's supposed to happen. When the mixture was golden brown, I took it out and let it cool down. Once the bowl was no longer hot, I poured the mixture into a glass jar (the jar should be something you can throw away and not too deep!).
After cooling for about 2 hours I took the wax, a wooden stick (similar to an ice-cream stick) and some potato flours (only because we didn't have Talcum or Baby powder at home) and went to the bathroom to do the waxing. I put some potato flours on my legs, took a lump of wax, spread it on my leg against the hair and ripped it off with the nap. It didn't hurt that much, it was pretty simple and affordable!
Image provided by Google, I was so focused on waxing that I forgot to take pictures! But this is basically what it looked like!

No comments: